Economic Development/ Planning and Development
Mission Statement: "To help create and maintain a quality environment with maximum density growth and adjacent, compatible land uses, by guiding growth which enhances the City's vision accomplished through working with residents, businesses, elected leaders and other departments in the City and region to achieve the highest quality of life standards."
The Department of Planning and Development was established in 2003 to begin the supporting framework for a department that would coordinate future planning and development activities in an organized manner. The responsibilities of the Director of Planning and Development duties include the following:
- Oversees all Land Use activities inside the municipal boundaries of the City.
- Serves as a liaison between other staff members and City Departments, the Board of Aldermen, the Mayor, City Administrator, Planning and Zoning Commissioners and other various outside agencies including state, federal and local authorities to enforce all codes and ordinances relating to floodplain administration, rezoning, subdivision and land use regulations.
- Serves on several committees at the Ozark Transportation Organization (OTO) such as the Technical Planning Committee, Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee and the Long Range Transportation Planning Committee which relates to all transit planning activities. Also serves on the Economic Development Taskforce Committee and is the local contact for the Wellhead Protection Committee.
- Writes and administers grants pertaining to source water protection and sidewalk construction activities among others.
- Reviews all site and building plans, issues building permits, oversees the inspection process to ensure that all applicable codes are being followed/complied with.
- Serves as Damage Assessment Coordinator in the event the Emergency Management Operations Plan is activated.
- Investigates and responds to citizen complaints concerning nuisance violations that are reported to the City.
- Oversees and coordinates all development and construction projects.
- Mediates and resolves zoning and land use issues through administrative processes as set forth by state statute